Subject: Call for help on iRiver port
From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing (linus_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2004-09-10

Hi all!

I have now started the research on the iHP-120 we purchased yesterday,
but we haven't made that much progress yet. I have scanned the PCB:s and
added some information to the Rockbox wiki.

However, there is one problem: The hardware is hard to reverse engineer
by multimeter inspection only, since the CPU and flash are BGA packages,
effectively hiding the pads. We need to unsolder the CPU to be able to
trace the signals and draw schematics, but this will very likely render
the player useless in the process, as it is very difficult to put the
CPU back.

This is our call for help:

If anyone has a broken iHP-1xx to donate to the project, we would be
ever so grateful!!!!

Please contact me if you have one.

(OK, there are other ways of reverse engineering the hardware, like
logic analysis, BDM debugging etc. It is also very likely that the
design is based on the reference design from Motorola. But tracing the
PCB with a multimeter will certainly make it a lot easier.)

Linus