Subject: Linux on USB HD
From: Mat Holton (
Date: 2004-09-10

Hello all,

I have recently tried to get my FMR booting into a version of Linux (namely Feather - a 60Meg version designed for use on flash cards)
but although my PC is set to boot from USB and I have run SysLinux.exe on the drive it does not boot. Any ideas?

My ultimate goal is to have a small bootable Linux, setup and ready for compiling Rockbox - it would be a nice to have this available for the Rockbox 'community' too?

Problem is a) I c an't boot the damn thing! and b) I'm no Linux Guru anyway....mind you, I should be able to figure out anything neccasary for the latter....

Any ideas? Help would be appreciated - and I know there's some Linux freaks around here!

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams ... glitter in the dark near Tanhauser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain. Time ... to die."

Surface Inspection Ltd