Subject: creating m3u files

creating m3u files

From: Michael Muller <admin_at_montaguema.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 15:03:33 -0400

I'm having trouble creating m3u files. I'd like to have one in every folder, listing every mp3 file in each folder's sub-folders.

I've got the dos command line below, but upon running it adds a '1' before the '>' character, rendering the line syntactically incorrect, producing an error, and no m3u files.

for /r %a in (.) do dir /b /s %a\*.mp3 |sort >%a\this.m3u

... produces an output line such as this...

dir /b /s e:\_My Music\_Zappa\YCDTOSA 2\.\*.mp3 | sort 1>E:\_My Music\_Zappa\YCDTOSA 2\.\this.m3u

(note the '1>' before the m3u filename, which produces the error).

Has anyone else had this problem? It's driving me nuts. If I take out the |sort it doesn't change the error, so it must be something else. The HELP FOR docs say the following:

FOR /R [[drive:]path] %variable IN (set) DO command [command-parameters]

    Walks the directory tree rooted at [drive:]path, executing the FOR
    statement in each directory of the tree. If no directory
    specification is specified after /R then the current directory is
    assumed. If set is just a single period (.) character then it
    will just enumerate the directory tree.

When it says it will 'enumerate the directory tree' that makes me think of numbers, and I see that the number 1 is what's being injected into my result set. Anyone have any ideas or advice?

Thanks,

Michael