Subject: Re: creating m3u files
From: Andreas Stemmer (groovingandi_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2004-09-13

Michael Muller wrote:
> I'm having trouble creating m3u files. I'd like to have one in every
folder, listing every mp3 file in each folder's sub-folders.

> I've got the dos command line below, but upon running it adds a '1'
before the '>' character, rendering the line syntactically incorrect,
producing
an error, and no m3u files.

> for /r %a in (.) do dir /b /s %a\*.mp3 |sort >%a\this.m3u
>
> ... produces an output line such as this...
>
> dir /b /s e:\_My Music\_Zappa\YCDTOSA 2\.\*.mp3 | sort 1>E:\_My
Music\_Zappa\YCDTOSA 2\.\this.m3u

> (note the '1>' before the m3u filename, which produces the error).
>
> Has anyone else had this problem? It's driving me nuts.

I can't help you with this problem, but a simple workaround would be to
change the command to the following:

for /r %a in (.) do dir /b /s "%a\*.mp3" | sort /o "%a\this.m3u"

The /o switch directs the output of sort to a file and is faster than using
the standard output. The quotes avoid problems with filenames which contain
spaces.

Andreas