Subject: Re: Dead-ish JBR 20

Re: Dead-ish JBR 20

From: <jhagani_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:34:30 -0400

Leif:

Can you give me a little more detail as to what is and is not
happening when the drive fails to spin up? What error message do you
get (if you are running a flashed unit, what is the ATA error code)?

The reason I ask is that my flashed JBR v.1 with original HD fails to
boot, although the drive tests fine on my laptop. When I power on the
JBR, I can hear the drive begin to operate, but I get an ATA error -41
and can go no further. I get the exact same error when I pulled my
laptop's original HD and tried it in the JBR.

I too have checked all the common solder points, replaced batteries,
etc. but have yet to find the source of the problem. Your situation
has me thinking that if I can find another drive that has lower power
up requirements, perhaps I can resurrect my dearly departed JBR.

It seems that power/amperage issues are becoming more and more
widespread as more JBR's are getting older and older...

- Jim