Subject: RE: to weak batteries - cant even charge... ;-(

RE: to weak batteries - cant even charge... ;-(

From: Stuart Tedford <stuart.tedford_at_piresearch.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:25:23 +0100

> Maybe I'm being ignorant of some feature (and if I am, ignore
> this), but
> I dont think that this is the best solution. If the batteries become
> 'overcharged' the electrolyte inside them will evaporate
> overtime. Over
> weeks/months, if the batteries are fully charged when this process
> starts, wont this shorten the battery lifespan? Or am I being
> too cautious?

This is the reason it is done how it is at the moment, and it does seem a
bit over-cautious given the problems users are having. I also didn't make
it clear in my first post about this, that this indescriminate charging at
power up should only happen when the user powers up the JB by inserting the
charger, not when they press "ON". That way RockBox can safely assume that
the user is explicitly choosing that they want to charge the battery.

Stu.