Subject: RE: Recording problems
From: VanBaren, Gerald (AGRE) (Gerald.VanBaren_at_smiths-aerospace.com)
Date: 2004-09-20

Hi Rockbox crew,

WRT the recording problems, I did some more tests with a AJR load approximately a week old and mic input, duplicating Paul's sequence above by hitting the "||>" button to pause and continue and also hitting the "stop" button followed by the "||>" button to start a new recording session. I did not record long durations (couple of minutes each). I did not have problems with bad frames.

I also did two 90+ minute recordings (powering down between the recordings) with no apparent problems.

I think Paul's problem is either related to his using the SPDIF input or his hardware (it is very suspicious that he has fewer problems when his drive has less data on it -- that should be immaterial).

Another thought that may be invalid: with analog inputs (line/mic), if you overdrive the input, the MAS can screw up its compression and generate bad frames. With SPDIF (digital) input, I don't know if this bug happens or if overdriving is even possible (overdriving digital I would expect means a lot of 0x7FFF/0x8001 values). Perhaps Paul should verify he isn't overdriving the input when he is running a new load.

gvb

The following messages are brought to you by the Lawyers' League of IdioSpeak:

The information contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, may contain confidential information and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may be subject to legal privilege. If you have received this e-mail in error you should notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete the message from your system and notify your system manager. Please do not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person. The views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused, directly or indirectly, by any virus transmitted in this email.