Subject: 3.5" Hdd
From: Bob Allsopp (rda_at_atduk.com)
Date: 2004-09-21

I have successfully got an 80gig 3.5" drive working on my V1 recorder (will
eventually be a 137gig hdd for a home based stereo). It uses a separate
5/12v source. I did try using the internal 5v supply and using the charger
for the 12v, but the drive requires more power than this provides.

Interestingly, once the drive is powered up and initialised, it spins down
again until the recorder is turned on. I plan to leave the drive permanently
powered and turn the recorder on and off as required. How much power does
the drive consume when not spinning and will it do any damage long term? The
hard drive info under debug also states that power management is disabled.
Is this because rockbox has no control over the hdd power source?

Thanks,
Bob

---
Outgoing mail is definitely certified Virus Free.