Subject: Re: replacing the HD in a recorder V1
From: Menachem Shapiro (menachem.shapiro_at_gmail.com)
Date: 2004-10-06

B"H

Did you have to desolder in order to get to the hard drive for the
Version 1 Recorder like you have to for the Recorder Version 2? Are
the guts of the Recorder V1 the same as the guts for the Jukebox
Studio (not including the actual circuitry, of course)?

Menachem

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 15:43:58 -0400, Michael Graham <magog_at_the-wire.com> wrote:

> > HI all, I want to replace the HD in my recorder v1. Do I buy the same
> > HD as I did for the recorder V2? also How do I format it as FAT 32
> > when I've done it?
>
> I used the Toshiba MK8025GAS (80GB, 4200 RPM). I followed the
> instructions here:
>
> http://www.mctubster.com/hd.html
>
> Before I put the new HD into the Jukebox, I attached it to my computer
> directly via a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE interface adapter. These adapters
> always frighten me because they include power on the connector and if
> you put them in backwards you can release the magic smoke from your
> drive.
>
> But it worked for me. While it was attached to the computer via IDE, I
> used Partition Magic to add a partition and format it as FAT32. I then
> copied all my data to the drive (quicker than USB2).
>
> Getting the old drive out of the recorder and the new drive in was not
> too bad. The most important advice I can give is to be patient
> throughout the process - take your time and don't force anything. Also,
> some of the metal edges are quite sharp. At one point I cut my finger
> without even noticing it.
>
> I also couldn't find "the hole you're not supposed to cover" on this
> particular drive. I hope I didn't end up covering it.
>
> When I put the whole thing together, the Archos wouldn't boot, because I
> had made my 80GB partition into a logical partition, instead of a
> single primary partition. However, Partition Magic was able to convert
> the logical partition into a primary partition. It did this over USB
> and without losing any data. Pretty cool.
>
> After that, I had some problems with Rockbox. I had more than 400
> directories in the root of my drive, and Rockbox didn't like this. When
> I went into its settings, I found it was defaulting to a maximum of 0
> files per directory, and when I changed this value, it didn't seem to
> stick. But I reorganized my file hierarchy, reinstalled Rockbox,
> changed the max files to 1000, and everything seems to work fine now.
>
> Michael
>
> --
> Michael Graham <magog_at_the-wire.com>

Are you interested in using Linux?
Download Libranet 2.8.1 for free and try it out.
http://www.libranet.com/trial_download.html