Subject: new voice UI feature: file name clips
From: [IDC]Dragon (idc-dragon_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2004-10-07

Hello,

it quickly sank down in all the cvs traffic we have with iriver
preparations, so I better post it:

The voice option for file names has a new option. This is patch #978765 by
Carsten Tschach. Like with directories, you can now accompany any file with
a little mp3 clip file containing the spoken filename (or, whatever sound
helps you, it could be a sample as well). This extra file has the same name,
but extended with ".talk", so e.g. "myfile.mp3" would get a
"myfile.mp3.talk" next to it.

It's up to you how many and what kind of files you'd like to "comment" with
such clip files, it sure clutters the disk if done for all. But it's a
simple approach, lightweight on Rockbox and easy to understand (I hope).

We now need a script to generate such files... (Brian?)

While at it, I have removed the "on enter" directory clip option. Nobody
seems to use it. Voice settings for files and directories are now identical.

The file voicing produces a lot of disk activity, when enabled. For every
file you stop at, it goes and looks if there is a .talk clip. In the future,
this may get cached, so you only get spinups for the clips that exist.

One last thing: With today's build, the config block has changed once more,
so you need to play your favourite config file again.

Jörg

--
+++ GMX DSL Premiumtarife 3 Monate gratis* + WLAN-Router 0,- EUR* +++
Clevere DSL-Nutzer wechseln jetzt zu GMX: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl