Subject: Re: recover lost recording file
From: Ronald Teune (
Date: 2004-10-07

Hi devtrick,

If you decide to copy all of the empty clusters to your disk, try using
mp3directcut to listen and truncate the file. I think a program like that
makes the task to recover the music a lot easier.
Also, if I'm right, the rockbox recordings all have the exact same 5,49 kb
at the beginning of the file; the mpeg header. At least, Jens told
something like that when the recording bug in rombox showed up. Now DON'T
create a new recording file, but check the old one, and perhaps some other
old files what bytes are the same. It may reduce the search span quite a
And good luck!

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 17:49:22 +0200 (CEST), devtrick <>

> --- "VanBaren, Gerald (AGRE)"
> <> wrote:
>> BE VERY CAREFUL of what you do with the unit before
>> you have recovered the file. DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING
> Ok - excerpt scandisk (shame on me) nothing will be
> changed till i recovered these clusters.
>> The problem is that Rockbox did not close the file.
>> It is all there on the disk (except perhaps a couple
>> of seconds at the end that were in RAM and not
>> flushed to disk) and will normally be stored
>> contiguously... that is very helpful because you
>> won't have to go through the FAT information.
> That's the information i was hoping for!
>> The cluster after the _last properly
>> closed_ file will likely be the first cluster of the
>> file you want to recover.
> And here's a problem - the next cluster after my "test
> recording" 15 minutes before the interview-file is not
> the right one (maybe to less coherent free clusters?).
> so how do i find the beginning of THE record - cluster
> search want's a search string or something...
>> I used the Cluster Search
>> to find the directory entry of the unclosed file
>> which then told me what the first used cluster was.
> How? I don't know the name of the file!
>> Suggestion: Do a practice run on a properly closed
>> file first. The previous file (last properly closed
>> file) is a good one to practice on.
> That worked fine for me. there's still hope and if
> nothing helps i will copy all the clusters to my
> desktop and hear them thru manually. I really really
> thank you so far!
> greetz
> devtrick
> Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 100MB Speicher kostenlos - Hier
> anmelden:

Ronald Teune
= 1/2 *