Subject: Re: $20 2.5" HD USB 2.0 enclosures @ CompUSA
From: Jürgen Hestermann (
Date: 2004-10-08

>> I just came from the SF CompUSA store and they're selling store-brand
>> USB2.0 aluminum enclosures for 2.5" drives for $20. Cheapo way to keep
>> your 20GB drive after you've swapped an 80GB one into your Archos.
> Stupid question but does it have a power supply also?

2.5" drives don't need external power because they need just 5V which they can get from USB (although most external cases have a
power supply in case the USB hub has to power other devices too and there is a maximum of 500mA).

Only 3.5" drives need 12V which requires an external power supply.

Jürgen Hestermann.