Subject: Re: Dumped by Christi! Help!! even the MP3 player won't talk to me.
From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing (
Date: 2004-10-11

rinty wrote:
> I've installed RB today about 5 times. The first time it worked, and
> with Christi's voice, it began talking menus. I was cycling through
> the menus, and accidentally clicked on the language option. This
> would normally simply take you to a directory list view. I pressed
> menu again immediately, but couldn't get back to speech.

You must have accidentally changed the language. This setting is saved
on disk and us unfortunately persistent between Rockbox installs. I have
some suggestions on how to fix this:

1) Change back to English in the language selection. Quite tricky if you
don't have spoken menus.

2) Select english as your language. Key sequence:

3) Reset the settings. From the dir browser, the key sequence would be:

as the Wiki says, but there is one detail that is missing. Directly
after this, press:

This starts browsing for firmwares, to force a disk spinup, so the
settings are really saved. Shut off when the disk has spun down.

> I've got 194MB free on the drive when RB is installed. One slightly
> puzzling question, when looking at the documentation which described
> the button layout of a jukebox 6000, it says that on the 4 way
> control, play is up, stop down, plus left and - right. This is the
> opposite to normally, where you'd expect to find - on the left and
> plus on the right. I'm sure it is correct, but I just wanted to
> check.

Oooops! The Wiki page was wrong. I have changed it now.

> I'm running XP, and was told that when using this, it was OK to unplug
> the archos whilst the computer is on. The Archos is also still on.

Remember, you still need to "safely eject" the archos in the system tray
before unplugging it.