Subject: Re: HDs for jukebox studio 20 was: Re: replacing the HD in a recorder V1
From: George Michaelson (ggm_at_apnic.net)
Date: 2004-10-13

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 00:04:07 +0200 (CEST) Daniel Stenberg
<daniel_at_rockbox.org> wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, karl 'the_angry_angel' southern wrote:
>
>> I suppose in theory any HD can be used, provided that it physically fits
>both > connectors and spacing within the archos.....anyone got any
>thoughts on that > comment? or am I making crap up again?
>
>No, it is correct.
>
>I have a FUJITSU MHT2080AT 80GB 4200rpm in my recorder, I didn't see it in
>the list.

I track the prices of the Fujitsu and Hitachi 4200rpm drives here in Oz
from time to time, and while they remain cheap, they are also proving very
hard to find compared to 5400rpm units. (my domestic CFO has said until we
resolve some household debt issues wrt the wine cupboard, this kind of
single user spend will not be voted through the house ways & means
committee)

I think we may want to document the required power-draw issues as much as
speed because if they do release low-power 5400rpm units, the 4200s may
well disappear sooner rather than later.

>> Btw if anyone is interested in this list, or has one that they want to
>add > then I may make this a resource where anyone can add their
>information - > wiki-style....thoughts?
>
>You could add the list in the Rockbox wiki...

Great Idea! Please gods-of-rockbox make this happen!

-George