Subject: ID3 database browsing
From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing (
Date: 2004-10-13

The subject has been brought up countless times, but so far we haven't
reached a really good solution. We have had a few suggestions, the
latest one is the ID3 browser patch #1001358 "Feature: browse
directories using id3 tags"

I really want an ID3 database in Rockbox, but we need to find a decent
solution that doesn't slow down the browser too much, eat up all RAM, or
drain the batteries due to extensive disk access.

A couple of questions come to mind:

1) What do we want in the ID3 browser? I mean, which fields do we
support? How do we want to search?

2) How to design the database to allow for fast searching/browsing with
as little memory usage as possible? We can waste quite a lot of disk
space, but not that much RAM.

3) How to synchronize/generate the database?