Subject: Re: ID3 database browsing
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2004-10-18

Jacob wrote:
> Ok, having though about this (sorry for doing that after
> hitting 'y' to send the last mail) I think about the following
> steps (it's just an idea):
>
> 1. A complete off-line based solution without any db file
> format optimization is done first. This has the advantage,
> that a usable data base (and the UI) will be available
> sooner than if trying to find an optimal file format
> before any coding is really done (and everyone gets
> bored).
>
> Now most of the users will probably be happy.

No, because such an unoptimised database will be unusable by the firmware.

That is why all this discussion about how to create the index is largely pointless. We have to optimise the database format heavily for it to be usable at all by the firmware. This database format is what we need to invent, not how to generate it.

--
Björn