Subject: Re: Rockbox Database
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2004-10-21

BlueChip wrote:
> "imagine we want to browse year->artist. Such as 1982->ABBA. We thus want a
> list of albums that contain songs written by ABBA and released in 1982. How
> do we solve this without searching, and without creating artist-specific
> data tables?"
>
> I would propose you build a key/index for each type of search you would
> want to perform. Then it is you who gets the choice of what fields to
> catalogue and search-by.

You mean an abba1982 album index? And an abba1983, abba1984, abba1985...?

While it's certainly possible, and sort of fits in the 'waste disk if you can save cpu' design philosophy, it is rather more brute force than I'd like. The reason I'm posting the question in the wiki is I would like to construct a way to do this without searching too much and without creating a zillion indices.

--
Björn