Subject: Re: Gapless Playback Engine
From: BlueChip (cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net)
Date: 2004-10-22

At 15:17 22/10/2004, you wrote:
>BlueChip wrote:
>>At 03:46 22/10/2004, you wrote:
>>
>>>As long as we're asking forbidden questions... does this mean there's a
>>>scant ray of hope we may someday see record-to-.WAV in Rockbox?
>>>
>>>MIke
>>
>>Even if we did get record-to-wav going, you should realise that the
>>wiring of the MAS chip in the Archos units is "serial" not "parallel"
>>...I dont recall the precise math, but you can be sure that you will not
>>get 44.1K/16 over the serial bus :(
>
>IIRC then the playback of mp3 goes over the serial connection,
>the recording of mp3 goes over the 8bit parallel interface.

My educated guess is that the link from the chip to the hdd is serial ...We
must be able to stream WAV data INTO the chip, else it would not be able to
encode it to MP3 ...however, if the link from the chip to the hdd/memory is
serial then it would not be able to pump the data back out as fast as it
was reading it in?