Subject: Re: zagor: apps misc.c,1.19,1.20
From: Jens Arnold (arnold-j_at_t-online.de)
Date: 2004-10-23

Hello Björn

On 23.10.2004, you wrote:

> Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:
>> One of the main goals with adding the clean shutdown feature
>> was to avoid the problems we had with 2.2 (you know, the
>> dir/playlist buffer settings were set to 0 on fresh
>> installs). The user had to manually force a disk spinup to
>> make sure the settings were saved to disk, and often failed
>> because so many people just can't follow simple directions.

> I know. But the cure was worse than the disease. We were now
> *always* powering on and spinning up the disk on shutdown, and
> if the user kept OFF held down (like people have been doing
> for the past several years), disk power was abruptly cut off
> just as the drive was spinning up and/or writing to the
> platter. Such behaviour is potentially harmful for the drive
> in the long term and should not be encouraged by Rockbox.

I don't think that this would happen. The clean shutdown is only
invoked by holding off on those units that have a long (>10 sec)
hardware poweroff (FM/ V2/ Ondio), so the config save is long
done and the disk already spun down again when the hardware
poweroff eventually would kick in.
On units with short hardware poweroff, it is only invoked with
the double-Off click (V1) or even only available from the menu
(players).

Regards, Jens