Subject: Re: zagor: apps misc.c,1.19,1.20
From: Björn Stenberg (
Date: 2004-10-24

Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:
> Björn Stenberg wrote:
> >I know. But the cure was worse than the disease. We were now *always*
> >powering on and spinning up the disk on shutdown,
> Not if there wasn't any resume info to save.

Correct, but as you know the resume info is modified very frequently while music is playing. Therefore practically every shutdown during normal use triggers a spinup.

> Why not fix it the proper way instead, so the final fix can end up in 2.3?

Fixing both problems is not trivial. I had to make a decision and came to the conclusion that right now eliminating this theoretical risk for hardware damage is more important than minimising the risk for user confusion.

Naturally I too would like to find a fix for both issues.

> Just removing the spinup doesn't serve much purpose at all.

It serves a very important purpose: Not shipping firmware that is potentially bad for the hardware.