Subject: Re: Ondio done (was Re: Please test the daily builds! (for upcoming v2.3))
From: Jens Arnold (arnold-j_at_t-online.de)
Date: 2004-10-24

>> Does Ondio not support voice UI as well?
>>

> It does support the voice UI. All Rockbox features are in,
> except for those lacking the hardware (backlight, S/PDIF,
> charging, real time clock). The feature set is no surprise,
> because why should we deliberately disable things? The code is
> there. But we struggled with the Ondio having only 6 buttons
> instead of 10. This leads to non-intuitive key combos in some
> places.

> Big credits go to Jens Arnold, who (to my impression) worked
> all night on this, since many weeks.

All rockbox features are supported on Ondio as well, as Jörg
already said. However, there are still some minor quirks, and
one major feature still missing that the Archos firmware for
Ondio has - rockbox does not support hot-swapping of MMCs. That
is, you can either start with or without MMC, and rockbox runs
happily with the current medium, but if you want to swap MMCs,
you have to shut down first.

This also means that you have to install the rockbox "framework"
(plugins, languages, voice files etc.) on every MMC you use,
having the ajbrec.ajz on the internal storage, or having your
unit flashed with rockbox (Yes! It's already possible! Thanks
Jörg!). The settings are also saved on each medium individually,
which is a bit annoying.

Of course, hot-swap support is planned, an in a better manner
than the archos firmware does - we plan to allow simultaneous
access to internal flash and MMC, in a unix-like fashion. That
is, the internal flash will be the root file system, and the MMC
dynamically "mounted" under /MMC. This way, you only need the
rockbox "framework" on the internal flash, and you also get the
settings from there.

Regards, Jens