Subject: RE: HD error? Disk not reading properly...

RE: HD error? Disk not reading properly...

From: Stuart Tedford <stuart.tedford_at_piresearch.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:17:00 +0100

> Correction: after 10-15 minutes of this chucking, scandisk started,
> but with this speed the whole scanning will take 24 hours....
>
> Anyone recognize this behaviour?
> --
Yes I recognise it. It could be two things: if you are lucky it is just a
power issue, make sure you have fully charged good condition batteries
otherwise you could get this problem.

If you are unlucky, the other reason for it is that the disk is physiaclly
damaged, I had this problem on a disk which accidentally got leaned on when
it was spinning (right where the label on the disk says not to apply any
pressure). It must have damaged the disk surface. The disk still worked,
but whenever it encountered the damaged part (about once every 2 seconds) it
would 'clunk' the heads back and try again. It took about 10 minutes to
load windows. Scandisk (which I left running overnight) found no errors on
it! Luckily for me, it happened when I was upgrading to a new disk in my
laptop anyway.

Stu.