Subject: Re: ld: region FLASH is full (when compiling from cvs)
From: Alex Pleiner (
Date: 2004-10-25

* [IDC]Dragon <> [2004-10-25 17:56]:
> > when I try to compile the current code from cvs (I didn't do so for some
> > weeks) for my FMR, I get the following error:

> > Build LDS file for Rombox
> > LD rombox.elf

> /home/ciphelp/rockbox/sh1/lib/gcc-lib/sh-elf/3.0.4/../../../../sh-elf/bin/ld:
> > region FLASH is full (/home/ciphelp/rockbox/rockbox-all/build/rombox.elf
> > section .rodata)
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make[1]: *** [/home/ciphelp/rockbox/rockbox-all/build/rombox.elf] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ciphelp/rockbox/rockbox-all/apps'
> > make: *** [all] Error 2

> > Does anyone have an idea what the reason is?

> Yes, it means not enough space to run Rockbox uncompressed from flash ROM,
> in case of the FMR. We call that mode RomBox, see:
> In essence, it gains about 150 kB of RAM by not having code and constant
> data there, but in flash ROM.

> > And how to fix it?

> No fix, you have to stick with flashing compressed .ucl's. Or you
> "downflash" your FMR into a V2 to make room (smaller Archos firmware), which
> is practically no disadvantage. See the article.

Thanks for that quick answer. I guess I didn't explain enough. I don't
want to build ROMbox. the "traditional" rockbox is ok for me. I ran
"configure" and "make" and got that error. Can I disable building
ROMbox somehow?

> Jörg

Alex Pleiner                            zeitform Internet Dienste              Fraunhoferstraße 5
PGP S/MIME:   64283 Darmstadt, Germany
Tel./Fax: +49 (0) 6151 155-635 / -634