Subject: Re: Gemini 220

Re: Gemini 220

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: 2004-12-04

Kyle McGee wrote:
> Has anyone found out if it's possible to change the
> 20GB drive in the Gemini 220 for a bigger drive
> (preferably 80+GB)?

The gmini 220 uses a 1.8" disk, which don't come in standard thicknesses. As mentioned in the earlier iriver-related thread, the 40 gig 1.8" disk is much thicker than the 20 gig and will not fit into a device designed for the 20 gig.

The 1.8" disks also don't come in large data capacities. The largest available on the market is 40 gig. Toshiba is making a 60-gig disk but is apparently using them all for their own mp3 player Gigabeat F60. Rumor has it that Apple has a standing order for all "leftover" 60 gig disks. In any case there are none to be found on the open market.

> I am really interested in this piece, but 20GB is too small..

That's the price you pay for having a physically small player, I'm afraid.

--
Björn