Subject: MBR/Flash problems = dead V2?

MBR/Flash problems = dead V2?

From: Spam Account <espammy_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2004-12-07

I have a rockbox/flash/MBR-related problem with my JBR V2 P/N 400028

I bought this JBR back in March 04, loaded Rockbox and flashed it.
All was well until I read the article "How to boot from a USB device"
at http://www.weethet.nl/english/hardware_bootfromusbstick.php. This
entailed using "Bart's MKBT" tool to copy a dos bootsector to the JBR.
I thought this would allow me to use it as a bootable USB drive.
Anyway, this didn't turn out as planned - I was still able to use the
JBR to play mp3s standalone, but the device was no longer recognised
by XP. I also started getting the playlist not found errors.

I figured the MBR was corrupt and decided to wipe the MBR using
DISKPART. After that, reformatted and copied the rockbox 2.3 files
over again.

On first boot decided to do a re-flash. The "RomBox" sounded good so
I "played" the rombox.ucl file. However, I got the error that my
bootloader was the wrong version. I searched for this error on the
mailing list and saw a post suggesting the latest version of the flash
files from http://joerg.hohensohn.bei.t-online.de/archos/flash/flash_v2.zip.
I downloaded this file to my PC.

Meanwhile, I restarted the JBR and all I get is a blank screen (both
the green and red lights are on). I held down the power button for
10 seconds to turn the JBR off. Then I hit F1 and On at the same
time. This loads the Archos 1.40a firmware and the first thing the
device does is check for free space on the hard drive. I have no idea
where Rockbox has gone. I used the "File Utility" to "Diagnose." It
returns "Hard Disk OK" but after I click the "back" button I get a
"File system error - No valid FAT16/32 file system found."

I then repeated the F1-On (only way to avoid the blank screen at this
point) and connected to my PC via USB. The JBR doesn't appear in
Windows Explorer. It does appear in Disk Management though - as "not
initialised" and "unallocated." I repeated the DISKPART delete,
create, etc and set the partition to active. XP then sees the JBR and
I then reloaded the updated flash files (in root) and extracted
everything from the rockbox 2.3 archive to the JBR. I can see all
these files on the JBR (E: drive) now. I then disconnect the JBR and
restart it. I still get the blank screen.

I'm really at a loss at what to do next. Does anyone have any
suggestions? I don't know if there's still something lurking in the
MBR/bootsector messing things up, or if I've screwed up the ROM - or
both. Help - please!