Subject: Re: Re: Creative Labs Zen Xtra (BlueChip)

Re: Re: Creative Labs Zen Xtra (BlueChip)

From: Jason Williams <>
Date: 2004-12-07

> 1. Rockbox has some quite tricky battery algorithms. Even still, I would
> never leave it leave it plugged permanently, as by their chemical nature,
> batteries prefer the drain-recharge cycle and not to do it any more than
> necessary. See for (too much) detail. And I would
> certainly _never_ do it with the native Archos firmware.

I leave my archos rockbox plugged in all the time. Am I putting my machine
at risk?

> 2. Weirdness - are they saying that you should not try to transfer 40GB of
> stuff in one go? Or are they saying that the last nGB of the drive cannot
> be used?

Isn't that dumb? They are saying that filling up the drive causes the hard
to work harder, draining more battery life. It was listed under the battery
conservation section.

> 3.

I hope that I can use Windows Explorer, because I use a combination
of Excel and Visual Basic to manage what goes on my player, and if
I can'tuse that, I just might go crazy.

> I know nothing of the innards of the Zen so I could not comment on whether
> it is "possible" to port Rockbox or not - my instinct says "no" because of
> all their security crap - otherwise you are looking at a LOT of hard work
> over the next few months :(

Why make an open source player that can't be wiped clean and start over?
Argh...I hate learning...too old for this crap...thanks for the reply.

My mailbox is spam-free with ChoiceMail, the leader in personal and corporate anti-spam solutions. Download your free copy of ChoiceMail from