Subject: Re: Is this an anomaly?

Re: Is this an anomaly?

From: Christ Alice Scarborough <>
Date: 2004-12-07

Neon John wrote:
> I'm running the daily build Rombox from about 10/16/04. I had the
> occasion to have to raise the files-per-directory above the default of
> 400. After running the limit up to above 2000, trying to play an audio
> book with about 500 files, with no success, I tried rebooting and it
> worked.
> What I learned is that the change does not take effect until the unit is
> rebooted. Is this an anomaly? I somewhat distinctly recall not having to
> reboot when I've had to change this parameter in the past.

I'm pretty sure a reboot is essential, otherwise, you'd just be able to
allocate memory dynamically for the directory listing. Which can't be
done if you're directory browsing while playing a song for example. The
settings basically dictate how much memory Rockbox sets aside.

It'd be nice if Rockbox could shrink/grow the buffer dynamically, but
that'd be some deep voodoo code.