Subject: Re: What am I doing wrong?

Re: What am I doing wrong?

From: Neon John <>
Date: 2004-12-08

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 20:33:26 -0500, Neon John <>

>On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 01:18:51 +0100, Linus Nielsen Feltzing <>
>>Neon John wrote:
>>> I'm trying to install a newer ROMbox on my JBR. I downloaded both the
>>> official release and today's daily build. In both cases I transferred the
>>> new ajbrec.ajz executable plus the rombox.ucl to my machine. I ROLO'd the
>>> new executable and then tried playing rombox.ucl. In both cases I get
>>> "incompatible version".
>>> I'm probably forgetting to do something minor but I just can't recall what
>>> it is. Help!
>>It's not enough to just copy the ajbrec.ajz and rombox.ucl files. You
>>also need to have up-to-date .rock files.
>>This is why we stress that the user needs to unzip the *entire* zip file
>>when installing, not only just a few files.
>which .rock in particular? I delete the rocks I don't use so I'm less
>than eager to copy all of them back in on each upgrade. I have the
>correct firmware_flash.rock. Anything else I need?

Apparently having to answer my own question, I learned by experimenting
that the following have to be updated:

\.rockbox\rombox.ucl or

The last three can actually be anywhere.

0 Save your current setup to a config file
1 Copy these files to their appropriate places.
2 ROLO into the new ajbrec.ajz
3 run rombox or rockbox.ucl, depending on which type you're using.
4 Optionally, delete the above files, as they are no longer needed.
5 play the config file to return to the previous machine state.
6 save the new machine state to a config file to preserve the settings
that might have been added.

I break up the config into two parts, basic setup and listening

Basic setup is things that won't normally change.

I have three listening parameter files:

audio books
random music.

These contain parameters that change. For audio books, especially those
ripped from tape, I want max treble, almost no bass and no base boost. I
use much more flat settings for music.

I'm probably going to break "music" up into two files, rock music and
everything else.

John De Armond
Cleveland, Occupied TN