Subject: OT: What is the correct pronunciation of Leif?

OT: What is the correct pronunciation of Leif?

From: scout <rockbox_at_scout-family.org>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:21:37 -0800

Sorry about the OT message, but I am having an argument with a friend and
since this is a *.se mailing list, I figured it is the most authoritative
source available to me.

I know it is a stupid American question, but please remember in this New
World we really only have 4 languages: Spanish, English, Portuguese, and
French.

What is the correct pronunciation of the name Leif (e.g. Leif Ericson)?

Is it:
Option #1:
“E” sound. So it sounds like the word “leaf.”

Or Option #2:
“A” sound as in “weight.” So it would be something like … Lay-f.

You don’t even want to hear how I mispronounce Knut.

Thanks
-js