Subject: Re: Fw: Creative Labs Zen Xtra

Re: Fw: Creative Labs Zen Xtra

From: DavÝ­ Geirsson <davidgeirs_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2004-12-13

As an aside, you might try some automated tagging tools. I once wrote
a small perl script that guessed the correct tags from the filename,
if there was no tag before (of course, I have no idea where that is
anymore).

Also, I've heard some nice stuff about MusicBrainz
(http://www.musicbrainz.org), which can identify songs by
fingerprinting and checking their database for matches. I think they
have an automated tagger there somewhere as well.

But really, any player crappy enough to require jumping through such
hoops should be avoided. Maybe you could contact creative about
getting some tech info for the rockbox people to port? Or, of course,
you could just get a refund.

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:19:32 -0600, Jason Williams <jwilliams@wi.rr.com> wrote:
> aye yi yi yi yi...
>
> who makes these frigging devices anyways? I'm frustrated beyond words with
> my new 40 GB Creative Labs Zen Xtra...
>
> PLEASE - does anyone have any suggestions about where i might find a player
> that works like my archos rockbox in at least a 40 GB size?
>
> This frigging Zen machine only wants to play the mp3's that are tagged
> correctly. Well guess what? Not all of them are! (sigh)
>
> Thanks in advance. I'm debating on whether going through the rather
> exhausting step of updating my entire library of mp3's (exceeds 40 GB by at
> least 2x) or just returning this stupid thing and pouting about it.

DavÝ­ Steinn Geirsson
Reykjavik, Iceland
davidgeirs@gmail.com
+354 8696608