Subject: Re: Rockbox Digest, Vol 11, Issue 16

Re: Rockbox Digest, Vol 11, Issue 16

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: 2004-12-13

> Jason Williams wrote:
>
> >Anyone want to make some HD recommendations?
> >
> theres a lot of HDs out there - it all depends how big you want to go tbh.
>
> I know the Toshiba MK6021GAS (60GB) is a good choice for its size in
> terms of power usage, but its only got a 2MB cache on it. On the other
> hand the Toshiba MK6022GAX (also 60GB) has a 16MB cache, so it naturally
> has a lower latency, but it does require more power up and to seek
> (typically 0.3watts more).

The cache is useless for Rockbox (gets invalidated inbetween spinups, to
save power). Don't spend any money on improving there, unless you use it as
a USB disk alot and want to speed up that side.

I can compare a Fujitsu 60 GB 4200 RPM (which I own) to a Toshiba with
comparable specs (a friend has one). The Fujitsu is more quiet.

Jörg

GMX DSL-Netzanschluss + Tarif zum supergünstigen Komplett-Preis!