Subject: Re: Creative Labs Zen Xtra

Re: Creative Labs Zen Xtra

From: Dave Hooper <>
Date: 2004-12-14

> Maybe the HD players don't have DRM but if you download and check the
> manual
> for the iRiver iFP-899 flash-based player there most certainly is DRM. It
> does
> not behave like a plug-and-play storage device. You need a file manager
> (windoze only of course) and you can't upload mp3s from the player to a
> PC.

This is getting a bit off-topic... but anyway, it's clear you haven't done
any research. Besides the fact that the iRiver music manager application
runs on both Windows AND MacOS, their recent UMS firmware for
iFP-890/895/899 means the flash player looks exactly like any other Mass
Storage device, so you CAN of course upload mp3s from the player to the
As far as I'm aware only the non-UMS firmware allows you to play DRM-enabled
music of course (such as WMA files downloaded from Napster). But since DRM
is completely optional, if you don't want to use DRM, don't use iRiver's DRM
firmware, use iRiver's UMS firmware instead.