Subject: modding the hard drive

modding the hard drive

From: Jason Williams <>
Date: 2004-12-14

first and foremost, the "Zen Xtra" is anything but "Zen" or "Xtra".

I've gotten some really great feedback from the list, so first and foremost,
thank you all - this is by far the most constructive mailing list I've ever
been a part of.

A couple of questions :

I'm more than a little apprehensive about tearing apart a jukebox - are the
older jukeboxes easier to take apart? I am considering buying a test
machine from fleabay (anyone have a better idea? i despise fleabay) instead
of tearing up my v2.

I would seriously consider paying someone $50 to do this for me. I am not
mechanical in any way shape or form.

Should I wait for IRiver that people keep discussing?

Seems like the hard drive choice is hitachi or fujitsu depending on the
size. do I go 60 gig or 80 gig? where do you guys shop for your stuff?

If it matters, I almost always have my rockbox plugged in except for a 30
minute commute to and from work, so battery life is not really a concern to

Thanks in advance.

My mailbox is spam-free with ChoiceMail, the leader in personal and corporate anti-spam solutions. Download your free copy of ChoiceMail from