Subject: Re: Creative Labs Zen Xtra

Re: Creative Labs Zen Xtra

From: Tjerk Schuringa <regenpak_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2004-12-14

--- Dave Hooper <dave@beermex.com> wrote:

> This is getting a bit off-topic... but anyway, it's clear you haven't done
> any research. Besides the fact that the iRiver music manager application
> runs on both Windows AND MacOS, their recent UMS firmware for
> iFP-890/895/899 means the flash player looks exactly like any other Mass
> Storage device, so you CAN of course upload mp3s from the player to the
> computer.

>From the iRiver site (http://www.iriveramerica.com/support/iFP_FAQ.aspx):
Q. Why canít I upload my MP3 / WMA files from my iFP player?
A. Due to copyright protection laws that apply towards our technology, media
files (MP3 / WMA files) cannot be uploaded from an iFP player to a PC. All
other non-media files (documents, images, etc.) can be uploaded to a PC from
the iFP player.
As you correctly state it's not (optional) DRM as such, but it sure is a
lockdown. I also stand corrected on the Mac issue. Getting to the off-topic
bit, why don't we just leave it at this?

T.J.

.