Subject: Re: voicing file names

Re: voicing file names

From: Manuel Dejonghe <limbus_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:53:58 +0100

Hi,

lame is called my mp3ClipGen.vbs, where the settings are settled as well.
There are two settings of "quality" that may be intresting for you.
The first is somewhere in your computer, if I remember correctly, it's
the "Speech" in your Windows Control Panel. In the seconds tab, called
"Text To Speech", there is a setting, depending on your tts-engine
that allowes you to set up the speed and the volume. I am
unfortunately not able to try it out at the moment.
The second setting of quality is in fact the lame parameters. This is
where it starts to get tricky.
If my mp3ClipGen.vbs is not too old, you should be able to find a
variable called "LameOpts", followed by it's content, this are the
parameters what lame is started with. I'll dump a few lines from the
script, including one comment:
=start of script-dump=
'---
' VBR, independent frames, silent mode
' These may need to be tweaked for smaller size and/or better sound quality.
'---
 LameOpts = "--vbr-new --scale 0.5 -t -S"
=end of script-dump=

Now, let's have a look at the parameters (each bit starting with a
dash '-' is a new parameter). If you want to see, which parameters
lame is aware of, type "lame -?" in a dos-prompt in the directory lame
is in. It will give you svereal screens of explanations (find it in my
attachment).
-S: this is the silent option announced in the comment above, it's
typically the request to not print anything to the screen. lame itself
says: "don't print progress report, VBR histograms".
-t: "disable writing LAME Tag". Dunno what this is for, but it does
not sound to me this is anything that could have messed up your file
names clips.
--vbr-new: "use new variable bitrate (VBR) routine", well, nothing
more to say on that...
--scale 0.5: "scale input (multiply PCM data) by 0.5". well I start to
feel dumb... I'm not sure, but I think this could be a multiplication
on volume.

And that's it. I'm missing the "independant frames" setting, most
probably it has been removed, but not from the comment, furthermore,
there is no clear quality-setting within yet.

There are two parameters you could try to deal on quality:
    -q <arg> <arg> = 0...9. Default -q 5
                    -q 0: Highest quality, very slow
                    -q 9: Poor quality, but fast
    -V n quality setting for VBR. default n=4
                    0=high quality,bigger files. 9=smaller files

The first one with cause your computer to work longer on the files,
the second one will cause the files to grow. As these parameters are
not set, you can consider beeing using the defaults (-q 5 and -V 4) up
to now.

Hope this allowes you to play around a little bit,
    Manuel