Subject: Re: OT: Linux question

Re: OT: Linux question

From: Jerry Van Baren <>
Date: 2004-12-14

Neon John wrote:
> this is totally off-topic but I know there are a lot of linux gurus here.
> I just installed Debian Woody stable on my file server to replace winders
> 98. I've had a hell of a time. Been away from Unix for 10+ years and
> forgotten a bunch.
> Anyway, my system has the IDE primary and secondary channels on the
> motherboard plus a Promise FastTrack100 TX2 ultra-IDE controller in a
> slot. All was fat and happy with winders. Knoppix booted, found and
> mounted all the drives. SuSe live booted, found and mounted the drives
> but for a variety of reasons, would not install. so I know there is a
> driver out there for this card somewhere....
> I've been to the Promise site (every Linux in the world except Debian
> supported). I've googled my heart out. Anyone have any ideas where I
> might find a driver for this card? I have woody on the machine and Sarge
> on CDs so I can go either way.
> Thanks,
> John, old time Unix hack, first time Linux nube
> ---
> John De Armond
> Cleveland, Occupied TN

I don't know anything about the FastTrak100 driver but Google seems
to... searching "Promise FastTrak100 linux debian"

Turns up
which appears to be very informative. Also

You are jumping right into RAID OOOOOoooooooooooooo you are brave ;-).
This is considerably more complex than non-RAID. I don't have any
experience with RAID, so I'm especially impressed.