Subject: Re: Implementing software codecs (for iRiver etc)

Re: Implementing software codecs (for iRiver etc)

From: Daniel Stenberg <>
Date: 2004-12-14

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Dave Chapman wrote:

> One issue is whether Rockbox should load and initialise all codecs at
> startup (with serious consequences for memory use), or load and remove them
> as needed.

I say ignore that for now. I say we compile and link all codes at first, and
just use some kind of vtable for the functions. When they start to get too
many or too big, _then_ we start worrying about how to load/start them

> gapless playback of files of different types doesn't seem high on the list
> of priorities.

I don't see how changing codecs will affect this. The loading of the new coded
will be done a long time before the previous song stops and there shouldn't be
any particular gap just because of a coded change.

> All of this implies quite major changes to the whole of rockbox

Not the whole, but the playback and recording parts, yes.

  Daniel Stenberg -- --