Subject: Re: midrange EQ

Re: midrange EQ

From: BlueChip <>
Date: 2004-12-14

>>Can you elaborate on this? I thought the Loudness was just a boost at the
>>top & bottom ends. Is there some sort of compression going on in the
>>midrange somehow?
>Well, the loudness function keeps the midrange constant while boosting the
>bass and treble. The Super Bass setting tells the loudness function which
>frequency to keep constant, 1kHz or 2kHz. See page 43 of the MAS3587F data
>sheet for details.

So the words "super bass" mean "loudness centre freuqency set to 2KHz"
and "normal" sound is "loudness centre freuqency set to 1KHz"
...(my) sanity restored :)

Here's a potentially interesting observation:
I note that the DAC has an entire byte reserved to set this centre
frequency and that only values 0 and 4 are used ...leaving 254 undefined
values ...I wonder if any of those undocumented values would offer valid
centre frequencies other than 1 and 2 KHz? ...If so, you may just have
found the parametric you're after.