Subject: Re: Implementing software codecs (for iRiver etc)

Re: Implementing software codecs (for iRiver etc)

From: Dave Chapman <>
Date: 2004-12-14

claus wrote:
> Dave Chapman wrote:
>> I agree that gapless playback is a good thing, but it is only NEEDED
>> when playing back live concert recordings or other cases where one long
>> recording is split over different files.
> I find it really unpleasant to hear gaps in "The Wall",
> "Wish you where here", "Darkside of the Moon", "Misplaced Childhood" ...
> to name only the disks I have that are NOT live recordings.

Yes, but do you encode track 1 of "The Wall" as MP3, track 2 as FLAC,
track 3 as OGG etc etc. The limitation I was talking about only applies
when different tracks from the same disk are encoded in different file

But I don't think even that will be a problem - it sounds like a goal of
the future rockbox will be to support gapless playback with a mixture of

I was just trying to save resources by suggesting that we only need one
active codec at a time.