Subject: Re: Implementing software codecs (for iRiver etc)

Re: Implementing software codecs (for iRiver etc)

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: 2004-12-15

Stuart Tedford wrote:
> I'd imagine the DJ would also require crossfading of the tracks as well. So
> it would actually be quite useful to support up to 2 codecs at once.

We will support multiple simultaneous codecs, since the next song has to be decoded while the first is playing to ensure gapless sound.

However, we don't need to support running multiple concurrent codecs. Rather, crossfading can be implemented by first decoding the end of track A, then decode the beginning of track B onto the end of the decoded track A, using a crossmix filter.

--
Björn