Subject: Re: to swap v2 hard drive

Re: to swap v2 hard drive

From: Jason Williams <jwilliams_at_wi.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:24:07 -0600

Gary/flgants, did you format the drive first before installing it?

from website forum (actually quite informative) :

I performed a hard drive swap on my FM Recorder, it is my understanding that
the v2 and the FM Recorder are very similar in nature. Any way, onto my
method...

I used a 100GB Toshiba drive (check the power specs on the drive you're
buying it actually might be more efficient than the one currently in there,
I know mine was). You have to format the hard drive before you can place it
in the v2. The best way is to use a Windows Me or 98 boot disk (using an
IDE 4044 connector to make it a drive hooked up to your computer). You need
to run fdisk and it formats the drive and on mine it says that it is only
formatting 29,000 MB but it really formatted all 100GB.

After that I took the top piece of the player (it's what completes the
circuit on thebatteries) and then bent that part of the case very carefully
(not at the edge but where the blue corner pieces are hidden under the
bottom side of the case). Then you can use a screwdriver to pop the hard
drive out from the bottom (you have to remove all four blue corners on the
player) and it might take a little force but it will release with no damage.

I might have skipped a few steps but mine works with out a hitch and I have
93.13GB usable. You MUST make the drive a FAT32 partition or theplayer will
not read it.

Here is a link for the part to attach it to your computer:

http://www.thenerds.net/productpage.asp?un=154052&s=1

I'm sure there is more that I left out but you should get the general idea.
If you have any more questions I'll be more than happy to answer them but I
am going out of town in a few days so I'll do what I can.

Fred M