Subject: Re: Playlist creation

Re: Playlist creation

From: Brian Wolven <brian.wolven_at_verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:18:22 -0500

Mark Bright wrote:
> Doh!
>
> Sorry, that is what I meant to say... Too many alcohol fuelled late nights
> over xmas is my excuse...
>
> I do have a command line random playlist generation routine, I just need to
> work out how to recurse it thro the menu structure.
>
> One option would be to copy and edit the windows script file that creates
> the talkbox folder names, but I would like to work out how to do it in DOS -
> just because it's given me so much trouble!

I couldn't resist, so...

This DOS line (in batch file format here, i.e., place it in a batch file and
execute from there via CLI or drag-and-drop) will create a playlist of all mp3
files at or below the current directory level, with the playlist files located
in the folders containing those songs. IOW, if you sort by genre/artist/album,
then in each genre folder you'll have a playlist of all songs in that genre, in
each artist folder you'll have a playlist of all songs by that artist, and in
each album folder you'll get... yes, you saw it coming... a playlist of all
songs in that album!

FOR /R %1 %%i IN (.) DO DIR /b /s "%%i"\*.mp3 > "%%i"\Playlist.m3u

If you want to actually type it yourself without running from a batch file, just
change %%i to %i and I think that'll do it.