Subject: iRiver audio hardware

iRiver audio hardware

From: Dave Chapman <dave_at_dchapman.com>
Date: 2004-12-31

Hi,

Looking at the datasheet for the Philips UDA1380TT:

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/pub/Main/DataSheets/Philips_UDA1380TT_Datasheet.pdf

the audio capabilities (both analogue and digital) of the iRiver seem to
be the following:

Output: 8-100KHz, 16, 18, 20 or 24 bits
Input: 8-55KHz, 16, 18 or 20 bits

Have I understood that right? i.e. up to 24-bit/96KHz for output, and
20-bit/48KHz for input.

Is there anything else in the iRiver that limits the full capabilities
of the UDA1380TT ?

As libmad decodes MPEG audio to 24-bit accuracy, it would be nice to be
able to use that feature. Any thoughts? The obvious drawback is the
50% increased memory usage for the PCM buffer, but it does remove the
need for Rockbox to dither the 24-bit output of libmad to 16-bits.

Also, I'm sure this is an FAQ, but I haven't found the answer - is it
technically possible to record from the FM radio on the iRiver H140? I
understand the iRiver firmware doesn't allow it.

Thanks,

Dave.