Subject: hdd space

hdd space

From: BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 22:56:26 +0000

At 14:06 01/01/2005, you wrote:
>On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:46:15 -0600, Sarai D. Bucciarelli
><bucc7465_at_bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > [...]
> > Also, it says free disk space 17.9,
> > is this correct? I mean I have a lot of music on my player and it seems
> like
> > that number never changes. I know its a 20 GB player, it just seems
> like its
> > taking a while to fill up. Believe me, I don't mind all of the space, I'm
> > just curious.
>
>Hi, can't help for the other topics, but that Free Disk Space is a
>windows-lapse. They don't update the free disk space counter
>correctly. If you hit "Play" on that screen, it will take a while, but
>rockbox will check himself and update that counter. You will hear/fell
>the harddisk spinning and searching a lot.
>
>Happy new year, Manuel

There is another theory which goes something like ...drive manufacturers
claim that 1GB is 1000*1000*1000 bytes ...OSes (and memory manufacturers)
claim that 1GB is 1024*1024*1024 bytes:
(20GB * (1000*1000*1000)) / (1024*1024*1024) = 18.63GB
..so there's the first gig and half accounted for

Then you have to reserve space for the filing system, fat table, backup fat
table, partition information, boot sector etc. My instinct says that should
be less than 0.7GB ...but it's too close for me to call without doing a lot
of horrible math.

Of course, as Manuel says, Manky$pongeWindoze is not known for it's
reliability on reporting free drive space - try checking again with Swiss
Knife or Partition Magic (et al) ...they may give different results.

Hope your sanity in math is restored, if only at the expense of your sanity
as to the trustworthiness of people who market hard drives.

I used to work for a motherboard manufacturer. One day my engineer asked
me if I could take the CPU off the bus (CLI/HALT* (my only ever genuine
"copy con filename.com")) ...when I asked why he would want to do that, he
told me they were getting the specs on the maximum backplane throughput for
the sales bumpf ...well I suppose technically he did get the true figure of
absolute maximum, but the number would have absolutely no damn use at all
in the field - as it relied on shutting down the every other hardware
function on the entire motherboard INcluding the CPU - LOL

So it's 20GB if:
1. The drive is totally unpartitioned and unformatted
2. You use _metric_ multipliers rather than _binary_ ones
3. You use the right software to check up on the marketting men

BC

* Yes, CLI does not mask NMI's, that triumph was achieved my removing the
appropriate slink (0 ohm resistor)