Subject: Re: hdd space

Re: hdd space

From: Manuel Dejonghe <>
Date: 2005-01-02

I remember having READ (not heard next to the coffee machine from an
unreliable source) that there is another description for those
"metric" byte amounts.
Unfortunately, it went something like "GigiByte" or something like that.

Ah, I'm just coming back from half an hour of google excourse, and
finally, of course, wikipedia:
It says it pretty well, the one is GB (Gigabyte), the other one GiB (GigiByte).
Yes, I was shocked too...

There is even which can only be
something for bare rough throughputs.

Raaah: messes it up back again.
They are talking about two types of kilobytes (kB and KB), then
finally come up with the kiB, but confound it...

Time to go to bed...

Final note: The kibibyte-stuff is "quasi"-standard since 1998 in IEC...