Subject: Re: recording problem

Re: recording problem

From: Dave Chapman <dave_at_dchapman.com>
Date: 2005-01-04

BC,

An ".mp2" file that normal audio players can handle is known as an "MPEG
elementary stream". Multiple elementary streams (video, audio and data)
are normally "multiplexed" together to form MPEG program streams or
transport streams. Even if the file only contains a single audio
stream, it's perfectly valid to store that in a program stream or
transport stream.

It sounds to me as if your DVB recording software is doing that -
recording it as an MPEG Program Stream or similar, and not as an
elementary file. ffmpeg is simply extracting the audio data from MPEG
file and saving it to a seperate file - lots of tools exist to do that.

So these pops and squeaks are probably not errors, just the fact that
the file format is not what your audio player is expecting. The actual
error correction is done inside the card and/or driver - applications
don't touch it.

Dave.