Subject: Re: Playback channel configuration in rockbox - suggestions & survey

Re: Playback channel configuration in rockbox - suggestions & survey

From: Jens Arnold <>
Date: 2005-01-08

Hello Christi

>>> I think replacing is a bad idea. Add the fine-grained
>>> control, but don't remove the simple settings.

> Have the fine grain setting as a "custom" option in the
> channels menu, I'd say, with another variable to set the
> value.

See my other post with the 3 methods and then please vote :)

> Do the mono left and right settings just correspond to balance
> settings of +/- 50%? If so, it's not entirely clear why
> they're necessary. I see no good reason to remove karoke, but
> it's not a feature I'd particularly use.

No, they don't. "Mono left" only plays what's on the left
channel, but on both channels with equal volume, so you hear it
in the centre. The "Mono right" setting does the same for the
right channel. Setting the balance to th extreme left (or right)
will also play the left (or right) channel only, but you'll hear
it in the left (or right) speaker only. The balance setting
reaches from -100% to +100% btw.

The reason for removing karaoke would be to avoid loosing the
voice UI accidentally.

Regards, Jens