Subject: Re: un-plugging the drive

Re: un-plugging the drive

From: Jens Arnold <>
Date: 2005-01-09

Hello Glenn

> Do you happen to know what is the default setting for windows?
> This guy is probably using the defaults here.

>From what I found, this depends on which drivers Windows uses.

The drivers provided by Archos (which are necessary for the USB
1.1 jukeboxes) activate the write cache by default. Imho this is
a bad idea for a removable device.

However, the standard mass storage drivers provided by Windows
(usable for USB 2.0 jukeboxes, and all Ondio models) don't
activate the write cache by default.

For the non-working autorun.inf, I guess this has to do with the
drive type that this drive is registered as, or maybe with the
user rights. Here are the MSKB articles that cover these

The first article states that it applies to Win95 and Win98, but
the setting is still there in WinXP (and conveniently a per-user

Hth, Jens

Regards, Jens