Subject: Re: Playback channel configuration in rockbox - suggestions & survey

Re: Playback channel configuration in rockbox - suggestions & survey

From: Jens Arnold <>
Date: 2005-01-09

Hello Björn

>> 2. Reduce the "Channel configuration" setting to only
>> contain
>> "Normal", "Mono left", "Mono right", "Karaoke" options.
>> "Normal" would then be the setting that uses the stereo
>> width value. This would allow to resemble all old
>> values,
>> with less option clutter than the next method.

>> <opinion> My own vote would be going for method #2, without
>> adding the special indication. </opinion>

> I think neither option is very good. Option #2 is the lesser
> evil, but combining the variable channel separation with the
> "Normal" option invites massive user confusion. I would much
> prefer to have a list of "Stereo", "Mono left", "Mono right",
> "Karaoke" and "Custom".

Hmm. This is exactly one option too much to fit in 2 config
bits, but also considering Christi's comment (quickly switching
between stereo & mono), I'll go for leaving the mono setting
there as well. I never actually thought of this; I usually
switch configs by playing a config file.

And "Custom" really sounds much better than "Stereo variable",
so there'll be the following settings for "Channel

"Stereo", "Mono", "Custom", "Mono left", "Mono right", "Karaoke"

Regards, Jens