Subject: Re: JBR boot into record screen

Re: JBR boot into record screen

From: Jerry Van Baren <>
Date: 2005-01-11

Dan Richardson wrote:
>>I'm adding stuff to the bootup (resume ask) screen (loading config files on
>>pressing F1/F2/F3 or left/right). Perhaps I can add a
>>press-on-this-button-to-start recording, if I'm doing this anyway.
> I doubt it's an in-demand-enough option to give it such prime real estate.
> If it was a config thing, I could set up one of my JBRs
> to default to recorder for rehearsals and note taking.
> I want to push power, and when it's booted,
> push play to record.

At one time there was a discussion of having "record" be a plug-in that
could be auto-started on power up. The thread starts at:

My input in the thread is at:

"Absolutely! I and some others use the AJR primarily as a recorder and
it does NOT lend itself to having novices run it. What I've done as a
hack is to call the recorder screen before calling the main file browser
routine so that it starts up as a recorder, but if you cancel the
recorder screen, you end up in the (normal) file browser screen. This
works very well for my purposes (makes it a one-button start recorder),
but I am a very small minority and this hack isn't something I figure
the core Rockbox is going to find acceptable."

This hack does exactly what you describe. I can put a one line patch on
the Rockbox site if anyone is interested...